Thursday, August 28, 2008

Random

When I first entered my apartment building, I realized something was wrong. It didn't take me long to find out that the lights in the hallway were not turned on. Upon entering my apartment, a quick investigation confirmed my fear: there was a power outage.

Straightaway I called the office to ask what's going on. Apparently the whole neighborhood was facing the same problem, and I was promised that the power would be back on around 6pm. Thinking that it wasn't a big deal since the day was still bright, I tried to cook, but to my dismay discovered that the stove won't work without electricity. Hence I did some marinating and decided that I could use my laptop powered by battery to do some surfing online. Maybe not. Modem needs electricity no?

Wanting to kill some time, I did some exercise and finally dragged myself out to Monon Trail to jog after much debate. Still no electricity when I came back. Starting to get frustrated, I rested for a while before taking an early shower. Same thing after shower; no electricity. It was then I started to get worried. If that persisted I would need to dine out and go to bed straight after dinner unless I manage to find a hangout place.

I started calling my friends in my neighborhood and asked if they still have the same problem. One friend said he got power a few minutes ago, and right after I hanged up the lights finally went on.

My purpose of delineating such a mundane occurrence was to express my realization of how we have to lose something to realize its real meaning to us. Things as simple as electricity can truly make a difference in our lives, yet when it is available in abundance we fail to see its value. I guess this incident serves as a reminder that I should not take things for granted and start being grateful for everything I have.

No comments: