Thursday, August 07, 2008

July 4th

The past independence day was my first holiday since I started working. Naturally, I was anticipating the coming of that day. The fact that it fell on a Friday meant that I would have a long weekend, hence I decided to go back to Ann Arbor and have some good time there.

When I was driving into Ann Arbor, I was suddenly reminded of how I felt when I went back home for the first time after studying for a while in UiTM Shah Alam. It felt great....to be home, and Ann Arbor is like my home in the States. And boy I realized how much I missed my college town...

My time in Ann Arbor was basically a relaxing and enjoyable one. On Friday (July 4th), Siew Gee, Wei Chieh and I went to Novi just to find out that Ajishin, a Japanese restaurant that we planned to go was close on that day. We went for dimsum in Great Lakes instead, and caught 2 movies (Wanted and Hancock) after lunch. I thought Wanted would be a great movie, but other than the amazing visual effects and action scenes that got old after a while, the plot was absurd and laughable. Well I guess it's hard to find a movie that can surpassed "the Matrix" in novelty, excitement, and depth.

Wei Chieh and I played some tennis in the evening. It was my first time playing tennis, and thanks to our assumption that the tennis court would be well lit at night, we went there at 9 something only to find out that it was in fact not lit at all. We played still, and honestly it was not quite fun chasing balls in dark...

The next morning, we went to Novi again, this time having our desires fulfilled. The food in Ajishin was unquestionably good...I don't know how authentic it was, but it certainly was delicious. It reminded me of the taste of hawkers style food in Malaysia...

IMG_0309 

Sushi master in Ajishin...actually two of his assistants were Hispanic...that I'm pretty sure.

IMG_0313 IMG_0314

That triangular delight was real good!

IMG_0315

Sheer ambrosia...

IMG_0316

Wei Chieh holding back tears of regret because he ordered the cold noodles...

IMG_0317

Siew Gee's noodle actually tasted like "loh mee" in northern Malaysia.

For the afternoon, we went to Gallup Park to do some kayaking. Wei Chieh and I shared a kayak, and for us the main agenda of the day was to run into Siew Gee's kayak. It might have sounded easy since we were two against one, but in truth we had to summon every ounce of our energy and brainpower (lol) before we could actually do that.

IMG_0322

Colorful kayaks

IMG_0326

Excellent day for kayaking...

IMG_0331

Trying her best to keep up with our insane speed (haha in reality that's so not true...)

Wei Chieh and I was ready to go back for a good dinner, only to be shocked by an unforeseen occurrence (we should have known better). In the end we dined in Asian Legend, which was not bad actually.

So that was my only visit to Ann Arbor up till now. I'm guessing I'll be back in this lovely town during Labor Day...till then so long AA!

4 comments:

Siew Gee said...

lol...you should elaborate on your unforeseen event :)

Eric said...

What unforeseen event? Siew Gee, tell more!!

You make me feel like I missed out a lot from July 4 in Ann Arbor!

KY said...

nah it's nothing big...lol

RJ said...

damn, just share the damn bloody unforeseen event with us!!!!! :p
hahhahahahha