Thursday, August 28, 2008

New York trip

Purpose of trip: renew my passport and also you know what :P

Date: 8/21 - 8/24

Since 8/21 was a Thursday, I took my first personal day for this trip. A friend fetch me to the Indianapolis airport after work, and basically the check in was my most pleasant one ever. There was virtually no line throughout, I guess due to the fact that it was a Thursday and Indianapolis was not a popular airport. In a mere two hours I was already in the Big Apple (factually incorrect since my destination airport was Newark International).

When the moment I had been waiting for ages come, there was no explosive/emotional reunion, because somebody was very shy :P. Luckily the shyness and hint of foreignness didn't stay long; soon enough my PY was back to her cute self. Hugggss (finally).

During my stay in New York, I managed to get my passport renew in one day (for once let's cheer for the efficiency of Msian officers). Other than that, basically we spent most of our time walking around in the city, with me savoring every moment of it.

SN852164

Unique way to park your car

SN852173

Rockefeller center

SN852183

ToysR'Us in Times square

SN852186

Times Square

SN852207

New York Public Library (didn't get the chance to go in during my freshmen year)

We tried to visit the St Paul Cathedral too, but we ended up in another St Paul near the Columbus circle. Guess we shall visit it some other time.

On Friday night, we watched Phantom of the Opera (again....my 3rd time!!). To obtain the tickets, we lined up for a good one hour + to get the tkts discounted tickets! The tickets were really cheap though, only 51 USD per person, which was about the same as what I got 4 years ago. I recalled how awe-struck I was when I first watched this broadway show, and how I secretly vowed to bring my love one to watch this show again. There I was in the Majestic Theatre, finally fulfilling my wish. PY said it was rather boring in some parts though :S, but I'm glad that she loved the 2nd act.

SN852260 

Look at the size of crowd the show still gets after years of running..

Of course, I also managed to meet up a bunch of friends (mostly Michigan folks). We chatted for a while, and it was great to meet May Ying again after so long...

SN852274

In Melissa's apartment (888 8th Avenue!!!)

What's a trip to New York without excursions to Malaysian restaurants? We went to Nyonya and New Malaysia, and I finally got my cravings satisfied.

SN852160

Char Kuey Teow in Nyonya, absolutely delectable!

SN852154 SN852161

The Wan Ton Mee was actually bad...not recommended (Nyonya)

SN852231 

The dish that I had been thinking day and night....kai si hor fun!!! (New Malaysia)

SN852233

Laksa. Good recommendation by Eric (New Malaysia)

Last but not least, I should thank Kai Li, Guang Hui, Kai Yuan and Jian for their hospitality and company. In a nutshell, it has been a great weekend!!

4 comments:

RJ said...

Is that Siew Gee between Mel and May Ying?? Haha, she seemed like she was hiding away from the camera? Or was she trying hard to squeeze in between? :D

Nice trip you have there! Haven't been to NY in the summer. Hope that day will come. Haha, sponsor me k!!!! :p

kIdd0 said...

wah, is that really the apartment number for melissa?? so ONG one? haha... hey! you taking actuarial exam this november ah bro? got question can skype you ah? =P just started on like few pages... feel like ~bleh~ everytime i look at the thickness...

Eric said...

Should have asked you to bungkus the laksa and mail it to me via USPS Express Mail :p

Siew Gee said...

wow...you really got a good deal for Phantom of the Opera...
rj, yeah...that's me...trying to squeeze in between...