Monday, July 06, 2009

You jump, I jump

Last year, I thought of doing skydiving towards the end of my college life, but the expensive cost prevented me from doing so. This year it was still as costly as ever, but well at least I’m working now. Also I figured that time is running out for me to do “adventurous and exciting” stuff, as I always believe that a person tends to get more and more risk averse as he/she ages…

The time was ripe for skydiving when Pei Ying visited me for two weeks before she started working. She did some research and found out that there is this place in Greensburg, a good 20-30 miles from Indianapolis that offers this sports. I took a day off on Friday (5/22), and not before long we were there waiting to be thrown off the plane.

There wasn’t much training, as we would be doing tandem skydiving. We watched a ~15 minutes instructional video beforehand, and had some advise from our tandem instructor on dos and don’ts. Basically there wasn’t many things to remember, and deep down I felt that most of the people won’t do exactly as instructed anyway (like py :P)

I was given a chance to wear the skydiving suit, but opted out since it wasn’t really cold. We boarded a small plane (those with a propeller at the nose), and thus began a 10 minute ascend to the sky. I sat nearest to the transparent door of the plane, which they opened at times presumably because the cabin was too stuffy. Surprisingly I didn’t feel like I was on a death row or what. I felt worse when I was waiting to be on the Top Thrill Dragster (TTD) in Cedar Point.

When we were at about 13,000 feet it was the time. A couple of people jumped out first, including my camera lady, who was about to make a 90 bucks video of my skydiving. I was told to kneel down at the door of the plane, and at count 3 I was thrust out of the plane…not alone by myself of course. The free fall was thrilling, but not as “appalling” as the TTD. The camera woman somehow appeared in front of me after a while (can’t remember how), and all I could do is to give stiff thumbs up. After a good 30 seconds? 1 minute? the tandem instructor pulled the parachute and there was a sudden jolt when my free falling was halted. From then onwards it was just gradual descent to the ground.

Py jumped after me, so I did see her landing. It’s a relieve that both of us made it. Consider that a way to celebrate our 16th monthiversary! (and a fast way to burn money – whole experience ~ 300 usd). Guess I can cross out another item in my to-do-list.

IMG_3123

Greensburg Skydiving – waiting area with plane seats visible behind. Py not showing a hint of nervousness…

IMG_3128 IMG_3129

Seeing some actions before we fly…

(Skydiving pictures are blur because they are snapshots from a video)

VTS_01_1_0003

Here we go!!! (Cumulonimbus ready to meet cumulus)

VTS_01_1_0004

Plunging into the sea of clouds

VTS_01_1_0006

Flying like a bird (luckily not a blue one)

 

Click here for Pei Ying’s video. Should have posted it here but I don’t have the original copy in my computer…

8 comments:

ying said...

haha.. cumulonimbus going to meet cumulus..

Unknown said...

Keng Yang! My jaw is currently open widely! Seriously! You skydived!!!!! How's the experience leh? We need to talk.

ying said...

you can talk to me too! :D

Unknown said...

So how's your experience Ying? Nice to know you btw. LOL.

ying said...

my google flying all around.. and my spec almost flew out.. so my entire "flight" is trying to secure the google and glasses..

Unknown said...

Oic. How about the thrill factor?

Unknown said...

Ying, saw your video. Yea, it sucks to have loose google. I will make sure next time I have it tighten if I were to skydive.

ying said...

roller coaster more chi kek