Friday, May 30, 2008

Graduation

"Hi everybody, I am in the states already. Till now, everything goes on quite well and I am now in my own dorm room."

                                              Keng Yang, Old email

That's the first line of the email I wrote when I first came to the states. Almost four years have passed since then, and it certainly did not feel like four years. Here I am, graduated and feeling apprehensive about what's about to come up in my life. Will I blend well into the company I work for? Will I fit in the circles? Most importantly, will I be happy? I guess time will reveal everything eventually.

But until then, let me blog about my graduation. My parents came to the states a couple days before my graduation (4/21). It felt kind of weird to actually see my parents in this country, because...I don't know why. An analogy would be like seeing your teacher in the mall. Nevertheless, I was excited and needless to say I did bring them around (but now I regretted not planning well enough).

IMG_4049

Drinking bubble tea at South University :P

IMG_4054

Law library

IMG_4068 

Burton Memorial Tower (Bell tower)

IMG_4298 

North Campus sign

As for the graduation day (4/26), I am proud to be the first class to graduate on the diag. I am grateful that the ceremony did not take place in EMU, but I don't really care if it is in the big house as long as it is in the campus. I actually preferred it to be in central campus instead of south campus. And I'm delighted that we as the class of 2008 can tell the others that we had a "special" graduation.

The speaker for this year is not as well known as last year's speaker, Bill Clinton. I for one do not even remember his name. We the Malaysian bunch attended the actuarial mathematics commencement after the general one. It was much more fun, because there was food and it was indoor. Of course, throughout the course of the day we did a lot of camera-whoring, and not to mention the must-do: tossing the graduation cap to the air.

IMG_4225

Graduation ceremony in front of Hatcher Graduate Library

IMG_4261

Actuarial students = Malaysians???

IMG_4266

One big family....

IMG_4282

4 years for this moment..

So yeah, I've finally graduated!!! Thank god nobody turned on the waterworks, though I did feel a bit sad that my college life has come to an end then. Here I would like to give special thanks to my parents, who had given so much yet asked for nothing in return. Thank you mum and dad, and happy graduating for me!!!

No comments: