Friday, May 16, 2008

Untitled (MOMA exhibitions love to use this title)

When I read about celebrities (especially sports celebrities), I used to picture them as grown-ups who had done great things and experienced a great deal to be where they are at the moment. And I used to admire great legends and secretly hope that someday I would be one of those people standing at the pinnacle of their respective field. They were my source of inspiration, and by just learning about their achievements made me all excited about the possibilities in my own future.

Hence, when I came to a sudden realization that I am now 23 and still leading an uninspiring life, I could not help but feel a bit sad. Looking around, people who had achieved great success (again, mostly in sports world) and really made a difference are no longer people who are ten or more years older than me. A lot of them are my peers, and some are even much younger than me. A few familiar names here: Roger Federer (age 26), LeBron James (age 24), Christiano Ronaldo (age 23), Lewis Hamilton (age 23), Rafael Nadal (age 22), Maria Sharapova (age 21). 

Realizing that people of my age had gone thus far triggered a self introspection on what I want out of this life. Do I want to be an all important person who will be remembered for ages due to the differences I made in this world? (yeah dream on I don't have that ability) I think I have long past the time for illusion of grandeur. It's time to get real, and right now I just want to lead a happy and fulfilling life. Hopefully my existence in this dimension will ultimately bring more goodness than badness to the world.

3 comments:

Jin Ye said...

I used to think this way too - be someone famous and known. But I realize over the past year that what I really want is to lead an ordinary life, to love and to be loved. The truth is, our lives impact those around us, no matter how "uninspiring" we may be. Perhaps we do not make a difference in the magnitude of a celebrity or a hero, but we still do. I'm sure your magnificent life has inspired your family, friends, and PY. Don't you agree? :D

Cumulonimbus said...

Yup I guess....:P

Speaking of which your wisdom teeth on your blog is just...unsightly HAHAHA

Jin Ye said...

Is it really that gross? I actually quite like it.