Monday, July 03, 2006

Free day

Today (Sunday) is my first free day. We were allowed to sleep longer than usual (still have to wake up at 9.00 though to have breakfast), and I was able to do some laundry.

Since we had nothing to do, somebody decided to go tubing down the Snake River. Tubing, was to sit on a tube (an old tyre) and to flow down the river with the current basically. We went to town, did some shopping, and bought ourselves a tube each (cost about 15 bucks..). After filling the tubes up, we were all ready for tubing. To prevent my sandals from getting lost in the current, I had to tape my feet to the sandals...

The experience was overall terrifying. The water was so f@#king cold, and the current was so intimidating (for me). My butt hit the rock a few times, and at some point I had to paddle furiously to get myself away from some serious big rocks that seemed quite lethal for me. To make things worse, it started to drizzle, which means it was colder for me. Although I had a beer in my hand (that's the initial idea, drinking while tubing), I did not even have the chance to drink it. Within minutes, I felt exhausted and my whole body was shaking like hell.

Luckily, a friend of mine was nearby, and with his guidance, I managed to get out from the main current and rest on a nearby bank. Seeing my near-hypothermia condition (exaggerating here again), we decided to climb up a pretty steep slope to the road side. We approached a nearby house and called back camp to ask somebody to fetch us back. The whole thing was simply embarassing...haha.

So that's for the day. Another class was coming in the camp, we had a great dinner, and we played some sports too (badminton (yeah!) and wiffleball). Tommorow I'll be setting off for another hike, this time an overnight hike in Pindale. More updates in a week...

No comments: