Monday, July 03, 2006

First week in Camp Davis

So, it's been a week since I am in Camp Davis. The course is so far pretty demanding in terms of physical fitness. So far we had already had three hikes, which is the Mt Ann (el.7000+ft) hike on Monday, the Mt Rendevouz (el.10000+ft) hike on Wednesday, and the Amphitheather Lake (el.10000+ft) hike on Saturday.

Those hikes were no joke; carrying a backpack with 3.5 litres of water, food and supply in a condition where air was considerably thinner requires every strength in body and focus from the mind (haha...a bit exaggeration here). I'm glad to say that so far I need no assistance from anyone, and surprisingly my muscles didn't ache the days after the hikes.

The hardcoreness of the hikes was exemplyfied by an excursion hike (which was not in the initial plan) to the Garnett Canyon on Saturday. We basically had to climb through jagged boulders and trek through the steep slopes covered with snow. I was unfortunate enough to sustain a 4-inch cut on my calf (in length, not depth) due to a bad-judgement step, but the lucky thing is it wasn't deep. I still managed to play some frisbee on the same night after we came back from the hike.

For days that we didn't hike, we had to do meteorological measurements, project write-ups and quizzes. Activities were plenty in this camp; in the evening, we had interclass volleyball competition, which I'm glad to say I contributed to our winning of the championship with an unbeaten record. At nights, we had guest artist performance, movie nights, bonfire, and even computer LAN gaming night (playing Serious Sam, a shooting game)!!

Pictures will probably be posted only when I'm back in Ann Arbor.....(let's hope my 256 mb flash card is enough to hold a month's worth of pictures..)

No comments: