Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Another long post...

Exams are finally over!! This is the moment that I had been waiting so eagerly…thanksgiving break!! But now that I have nothing to do, suddenly I feel so empty. What’s wrong with me?? Guess I’m another guy who suffers from “pondering-on-what-is-the–purpose-of-life-syndrome” lately. So, what do I believe? What do I think about religion?

As a free-thinker, I do not reject the possibilities that religion might be real and not just another big Santa Clause story told. To certain extent, I even think that the existence of religions is good for us. It gives us a sense of purpose. It assures us that death is not the end. It exhorts us to do good and live our life to the fullest. Without these, our souls might be long dead before our physical demise. We need something to support our existence in this world. We need something out there, something omnipresent, something that is able to hear our deepest voice, something that is watching over us. Such yearning manifests itself especially when we are weak, when we are lonely, when we sense that the most dreaded moment is near. We hate to feel forsaken. We hate to feel that we are perishable beings.

To me, it is very possible that there is such entity; an entity that is superior to us, an entity which might have possibly created the world. However, I highly doubt that such entity is as omnipotent, as omniscient, as good as we are told in some scriptures. The Creator, if exists, must be a not so superior one considering this world is such a fiasco. I am always amused and confused when someone praises the God so highly. First of all, if God is so powerful, why does evil prevail and even exist? Why the supposedly perfect image of God is so subjected to the temptation of the dark side? The free will theory is purely bovine excrement to me. Why do we have something bad to choose from at the first place?

The purpose of us being created is another thing worth thinking. Is the world created out of sheer boredom? No no no. I suppose God is too overwhelmed with love, and He hopes to create beings that understand, share and practice His love. Surprisingly, the all-knowing He never figured that His image would be the most vengeful creatures on earth. Ok, He tried to rectify things. He send this son the warn us all. How effective and how clear the message was sent…. His theology itself has now become the source of hate. Why? There is an easy answer. Blame everything to evil. This must be the work of Satan.

Ok, this is starting to sound like a particular religion-bashing. I’m not against anything here; I’m just questioning the superiority of Creator, if there’s one. I do strongly endorse the values spread by religions though, among all, love. If practiced, this world will definitely be a better place to live. Hmm. Such beliefs guarantee me a place in hell I assume, by a loving God who strangely has wrath too. So human a God.

(shoot me if you think i'm too opinionated. open to ideas)

3 comments:

Voon Seng said...

hmm... i think i know which religion u are heading to... but hey... i share the same feelings too...

i believe in karma... so... karma is what i believe... so, I try to do what I think is best...(both for me, myself and I and for others...) so, if the end of the day, I shall go to heaven, or hell (if there are such places), then let it be... if because I'm not believing in it and hence I'm doomed, so be it... At least, I practice what I believe, and I'm true to myself.

There's too much faking, and not much making... too much preaching and not much practising... (dang, this is good, i didn't know that I'm so poetic...)

Cumulonimbus said...

Haha...looks like we'll meet in hell, for having too much pride, for not submitting to a greater being, for not.....(the list goes on)

But heck, we are permitted to confess (full heartedly of course, since we have nothing to lose)before we die, right?

(ok, another reason for me to go to hell...)

Cumulonimbus said...

Good reply alexis!! This is what I call 抛砖引玉...

Personally, I have nothing against Jesus or christianity. It's just the whole notion of the immaculate all knowing omnipotent omniscient omnipresent superior being that irritates me...Why? I dunno...

Just my point of view though!