Sunday, July 27, 2008

New place, new life

When I first started my job, I kept on whining about almost everything when I really should not. I think I was mainly terrified by the idea that I was already a perceived grown up and should start acting like one. I also did not like the idea that I was about to enter the "working" part of my life...no more long vacations, no more spring breaks, more commitments, more responsibilities etc. But one month after, I've kind of found my center and start to appreciate things more. Life is actually not that bad, and I hope things won't take a sudden downturn when I am starting to enjoy it. Right now, I am seeing this period as a time when I build my foundations for a better and more exciting future...

So let me start by describing my new apartment (ok, maybe I should not sound like I own it). It is called the Stonegate apartments, and I just love it for its convenient location. It is less than 10 minutes from my workplace, and it has everything you need within 5 miles radius (Walmart, Meijier, Kroger, cinemas, banks, post office etc). The Monon Trail, a nice jogging trail that goes as far as to downtown Indianapolis runs right through it, and there's a lake not far from my apartment. The Arts and Design District of Carmel is also within walking distance. In a nutshell, excellent location.

The apartment itself is not so new, but I got a remodeled unit. Hence, the microwave and oven are new, and next week they are going to do some work on the windows. The only downside of it is that there is no washing machine in the unit, so I have to go out of my room to do my laundry, and it's coin laundry. But well, the laundry room is literally like 5 steps away from my unit, so no complaints.

As for the community, I think Stonegate is more like an area for people who just started working or families with lower incomes. I see a lot of Hispanics around (most of my neighbors are Hispanics), some Indian families, and not to mention Chinese families. I think my next door neighbor is a Chinese, but we did not really talk as we rarely bump into each other. From what I have seen thus far, the people here are decent folks. No loud music on weekend nights, no crazy activities around. This should be a good place for me to study...

Due to my limited funds, I took the minimalist approach in furnishing my apartment (haha). Let the pictures do the talking: 

 IMG_0342

Living room...Yup the weird thing is a video bean bag...can't afford a futon yet :P

IMG_0343

My computer desk at the corner. It took me more than half a day to assemble that monster...

IMG_0349

My entertainment center!!! A pathetic 22-inch flat screen TV (two of my colleagues who were also just newly hired bought 40-inch!!) and of course, my wii :)

 IMG_0345

Dining table and kitchen.

IMG_0347

Kitchen with microwave and oven (sinks are across the aisle)

IMG_0297

My full-size bed...

Basically it's a nice apartment with a nice price (<600 per mo). Will blog more about the surroundings next time!

2 comments:

Jin Ye said...

I'm glad to hear that you're finding things okay now. Know you were worried, but you'll be fine. More than fine :) And I like your apartment deco very much! Eh, I don't even have a 1-inch flat screen okay... So 22 is just fine (just don't compare it with VoonSeng's)
Great place, great start. Hope to hear more great news! (Like when your wedding is going to be...)

Cumulonimbus said...

Haha thanks thanks...

Don't tell me your cellphone is < 1 inch...and don't you have a flat screen laptop? Hahaha...the thing is, you don't even need one right now!!

Well I do hope that I can pass you the good news soon too :P