Saturday, August 19, 2006

Penn State University

Last Thursday (10th Aug), I suddenly received a call from a DBA senior - Qi Ming, saying that he found accomodation for me in Penn State University. That meant I could travel with him to Penn State to attend his friend's graduation. Sensing that it was a great opportunity for me to temporarily escape from the boring life in Michigan, I gladly accepted the invitation.

We left AA the very next day (Friday). It took us about 7 hours to drive to Penn State, with all the stops and getting lost. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Shermian, the graduating friend of Qi Ming. We went Chili's for dinner, and to my surprise, I met Michelle, a JPA scholar of my batch who studies in MIT. After dinner, all of us went to the Lion's Den to get some drinks. I had a redbull vodka there.

The graduation the following day was held in a basketball staduim. It was the first graduation that I had ever attend. The protocols made the ceremony predictably dry, but the day was sacred for the hundreds of graduates. Shermian's parents were there, and they treated us lunch after the ceremony. We walked around the campus after that, and our stops included the University creamery, the first and largest in the US. I ordered a Death by Chocolate, which I luckily survived it by throwing a good portion of it away instead of stuffing myself to death.

Sunday was my last full day in Penn State, and I wanted to contact Kenny and meet up with him before leaving the next day. Unfortunately, he didn't have a cellphone. Just as I thought we wouldn't be able to meet up, I bumped into him on the street while we were walking to get some lunch. He's still the same, and Qi Ming quickly found that he's cool just because they shared the same interest: to "zat" me. We had a good time catching up, and he stayed with us until late night that day.

There's one person that I should thank here - Ming (not to be confused with the DBA senior Qi Ming). He was our host, and although he didn't know us before this visit, he certainly treated us well and made sure we had full stomachs all the time. It was certainly a great experience meeting all those nice people (Shermian and friends).



The graduation ceremony


Group photo in front of Old Main


Group photo in front of the alumni center


Penn State University

No comments: