Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shows

10/10 David Copperfield

Venue: Fox Theatre, Detriot

Finally got to see the famed magician live. The magic/illusions were a little bit disappointing though, as I have already seen most of it on tv, and they weren’t all that impressive. I really wanted to see the illusion which he was sawed into half, but unfortunately he didn’t perform it that night. Here is a Youtube clip of what I was talking about:

 

11/21 Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey:Over the Top Circus

Venue: Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit

Went to the Palace of Auburn Hills for the second time for this circus show (1st time was for an NBA game years ago). Saw some protestors at the entrance protesting against the animal cruelty that the trainers have allegedly committed to train the animals for this show. Well I guess as long as there are people who like us are willing to pay for the show, the cruelty will go on…or maybe not. Can’t people think of a better training method? (wishful thinking)

The show itself was alright, and was definitely more tailored to kids. The 7 motorcycles speeding in a steel globe was quite a scene though, and we were definitely holding our breaths watching that insane stunt. Given the difficulty of this show, one can guess things didn’t always go well, as recorded in the following video (note: this is not what happened in our show):

 

Some photos taken:

 IMG_4600

The Greatest Show on Earth? Hmmm….

 IMG_4611

What a circus…

IMG_4618

Tiger show (disappointment because I thought it was Thai girl show…ok lame)

12/5 Disney on Ice

Venue: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis

I bought front row seats for this event, but didn’t expect them to be so close to the stage. It was actually not a very good idea since if we were to sit a few rows behind, we would actually have a better view as the “elevation” is higher.

The show was enjoyable but not as “magical” as I thought it would be. Guess I have grown out of it after my last Disney World trip.

 IMG_4986

The proximity of our seats to the stage

IMG_5008

This is a cool scene that has all the major Disney villains in it

IMG_5027

Cheers…

12/12 Moscow Ballet’s Nutcracker

Venue: Fox Theatre, Detroit

I had little idea of what a ballet performance is like before attending this show. After watching this, I wouldn’t say that it is my cup of tea. The music was great (well Tchaikovsky’s work), but the ballet dance was just okay, lacking in both precision or difficulty (at least it seemed like so). Obviously I was missing something. Maybe I should have paid more attention when I was taking my modern dance class a while back…

2 comments:

Huiying said...

Nice!
I wish I would be so diligent to go for shows...really lazy now, senioritis.

I like the last picture the best!

Come visit us in AA before we graduate! MCN!! Or random hangout weekends.

We miss Mr and Mrs Phua. ^-^
Happy 2010~

KY said...

Haha thanks thanks!

Sure, will go if I happen to be there :)