Saturday, February 11, 2006

First midterms over....

Yayyy!! First wave of exams is over. Finally can slack off a little bit...just a little bit though.

Went to music school yesterday, and realized that I’m getting more and more impatient with my progress in piano. My fingers, I realized, are somehow very imprecise in hitting notes. Instead of just striking the right note, there’s always some other keys that I accidentally pressed…Besides, I seemed to lack control in the dynamics. What the heck, maybe it’s because my ability to concentrate was not so high at that moment....it’s midnight anyways. (I know such excuse is kinda lame)

Playing on an upright also seemed to be more and more intolerable, now that I am quite accustomed to the Steinway and Sons grand. But shouldn’t a good pianist be able to play well on just about any piano?? (not out of tunes one of course). Guess I really need to reevaluate my skills and find out where the problem is...it’s actually embarrassing that during the two years in the States, I learnt almost no new pieces. Aside from the nocturne which any 6th grader (in piano) would have easily mastered, every of the pieces I attempted is not at all concert-ready (a term too big for me, I mean presentable here). Most of them were half-abandoned when I was too frustrated in going through them over and over again and reached no progress. Remember the fantaisie impromptu?? It became fantaisie impossible for me after a while...not given up hope yet.

As I am going back this spring, I would hope that I can finish those unfinished pieces in my home. Some may ask why I insist on doing this. Sheer satisfaction my friend...boy, only if I can play those pieces...

Sighzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................... (Un sospiro)

No comments: